8.03.2018

A local man reviews the rich history of Firestone's last round at Bridgestone Invitational

AKRON, Ohio - This has been a mainstay of Akron for nearly two decades, but the World Golf Championship Bridgestone Invitational is now preparing to pack its bags and rely on the Golffirestone Country Club.

Throughout the development of the global series of golf to its current format and senior player championship next year, a man has seen everything.

For more than 65 years, Paul Lazoren has been at the forefront of all club tournaments. His career at Firestone began when he was a 9-year cleaning club with cash tips.

"I could win $ 7 or $ 8 and that was a lot of money back then," Lazoren said. "It was a good life, I was lucky".

Lazoren became a caddy at the club and a little older, he came to be heroes of his childhood, Arnold Palmer.

"Arnold Palmer was my idol and I was looking for him with the Caddy," said Lazoren. "At the first tee I can feel my hands shaking because I take my foot for the king." He looked up and said, "Paulie, I'm pretty nervous for both of you, relax.

Palmer has a special place in the heart of Lazoren. His frequent interactions in the club have led to countless stories in recent years. Palmer was known to have played after a round with his thugs.

"He has shot a 65 in the world golf series, and a 65 is a great trick." Came in and punched the putter and bent, and looked at me and said, "I left a few there," Lazoren said: "The next day shot 75, so he had to bend down the wrong path."

The man, affectionately called "Paulie" during the course, even played a pair of winners.

In 1965 Lazores defeated Gary Player when he won the World Series of Golf.

"First place was $ 50,000 and the home squad $ 2,500," said Lazoren. "We were on the 18th hole in the fairway on foot and said, 'young, she's making a lot of money.'

I said: Yes, you too! "He said it Lazores." I used this money to buy my first home. It was great. "

Over the years Lazoran became a legend in Firestone. Remember almost all iconic moments, including the famous "Hits in the Dark" by Tiger Woods.

"It's probably one of the biggest shots I've ever seen because it was dark, people did not realize what they were doing the cameras," Lazoren said. "There were people who lit lighters like a concert, I think it came a meter, it was incredible."

While WGC Bridgestone will travel to Memphis next year, Firestone will not leave empty-handed. The Country Club will host the Major Players Championship in 2019.

Lazoren, however, will appreciate the memories he has created and some of the new ones he still has to create.

"I think what I like is that when the players are involved with kids, there's a girl who met with Rickie Fowler and said," Can I take a picture? says, "No, but you can carry one with me," said Lazoren. "Things were going well, I think that means a lot in sports."

Let's block the advertising! (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire