11.11.2017

BOB Beyfuß: Tips before you go south for the winter

After all, it was cold enough that I this week the feeling again really in Florida. Even with wood stove, it was cold in my house for several days. This morning there was a layer of snow on my picnic table that had been frozen, and did not melt throughout the day. The leaves are almost gone now, except for some persistent oak and beech.

So far, the warm autumn weather was nice enough to stop gardening. I took the last hot day of my lawn mowers and chain saws gas. This is perhaps the best way to overwinter these machines. Gas remains a carburetor gels Sometimes in the winter, and offer the most complete protection of gas stabilizers.

Gas in ethanol, which is especially dangerous for small engines. I always buy no ethanol, high octane gas for my scissors and saws. Remove the plug and die a little oil in the cylinder before the exchange is also a good idea, and clean all dirt and debris accumulated. It is also a good idea to get the cutting blades and sharp saws. I wish I could be motivated to spend so much time cleaning my house to clean my garden!

I will bring a fresh potatoes with me to the south and a lot of tomato sauce, canned peaches and pickles. I harvested a royal potatoes voids this fall. Interestingly, only very large fries and large fish right "lunkers" called. I am happy to have achieved so much this summer! Fish "blowholes" were trout in the Ashokan Reservoir. Three of my Norland Redskin weigh more than a pound each, but most were dug out of it until the size of golf balls. Of all the vegetables I grow, my grandchildren in Florida enjoy most of all potatoes!

advertising

A number of people wonder why it coming this fall on your feeders little or no birds. After Wesley M. Hochachka, deputy director of studies of bird populations in the laboratory for Ornithology in short at Cornell University, "but what is it seems to be happening is that this year an exceptional year was for seeds and berries production for many types of trees and shrubs, and therefore the birds are able to appear in general to bird feeders by more than satisfied were widespread to use natural foods instead must visit feeder bird. "

I agree with his explanation of how it had been an exceptional year for all types of seeds, berries and nuts. I can not remember ever seeing so many seeds of Ironwood (Ostrya virginiana) I see this fall and beechnuts, walnuts and acorns me. Shrubby dogwood shrubs like cheekbones and also perennial herbs are loaded with fruits and seeds. I have to taste more than 70 walnut and some of them Rajo. They are much softer and easier to remove the black walnut.

Of course I had to borrow a heavy Nutcracker and wear gloves to avoid staining your fingers, but they were worth it! Unfortunately, almost all the walnut trees that I know is dying of a disease that seems to generate the attention of other tree diseases and pests such as the emerald ash borer, aphids and other pests hemlock exotic. I stop plant walnut trees 25 I hope to come next spring.

Remember to protect your landscape plantings by fences deer, so they. In burlap wrapping or a repulsive syringe I went to my friend Lester ayer and showed me some small trees gold chain that had put a fence around it. One of the trees had drowned suspended all its branches by deer, while the other one Irish Spring soap had hung, was completely intact. There is no doubt that the knowledge and repelling deer, but also a piece of soap will wash over time.

Next week I will write this column Florida sun. It is time that this south Snowbird!

Bob Beyfuss lives and gardens in Schoharie County. Send - him an e-mail to rlb14@cornell.edu~~V~~singular~~3rd.

Let you us block the ads! (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire