7.13.2015

Speed ​​up your editor with six simple tips

If it paid to the increasingly important lately tasks comes I had opportunities, find to refine my editing workflow. I used most of my cleaning dodging and burning of the skin to do problem areas. Then I had to be corrected in the color, of course. Negative dodging and burning gives good results when mastered, but he eats a lot of time. For some clients or projects, rather 1-3 hours after on-screen, it is simply not possible. Increasingly confronted with this issue in the real world, I took the time to see and my workflow, I spend less time at the computer. These are some of the things that have changed and some advice that I could give someone similar problems.

Raw Development and Export

As a teaching problem, I always emphasize the importance of a great development in the first. If your RAW file is crap, the final image will be no different. A great image begins with excellent photography and processing of crude oil. Take the time to treat and ensure that they do not end with cropped or oversaturated areas your RAW file correctly. When editing a business customer, which I never like doing me toning color when preparing raw. I do not want to risk my client to change his mind and remained a classification of colors that do not correspond to the ideas of new client with me. Color processing always comes last, and so dull.

Speaking of focus, edit the export my RAW files, I always made. Sharpening accentuates every detail of an image, including hair strands plate s, spots and other skin problems. If you want to spend editing, moving more time a crank until the cursor Sharpening in Capture One or Lightroom.

For the same reason, so that the cursor is on 0 is clearly a good idea. Not even the to bring to its neutral position in order to soften the skin and save to time in Photoshop think. Proceed along this road, you end up with a very soft image and look cheap.

Another thing that I do when export is the idea of the end use of my images. Not all customers have the full range of colors from a 16-bit file. For many applications, a simple 8-bit file will be good enough. If I use an 8-bit TIFF away, I will not hesitate twice and export it to 8 bits. This will save space on my hard drive and load and display faster in Photoshop. The larger the file, the better for my workflow when time is an issue.

Try as much as possible in its raw processing software. It's one of the reasons why I Capture One. With the ability to correct skin tones and uniform before in Photoshop is a time saver. It is also not uncommon for me to develop a single RAW file several times and stack development in Photoshop to achieve similar results for the only other skin tones. But that's for another article, because it's not always a time saver.

Do not start with frequency separation

Many photographers started, very far to get to the frequency spacing . It leads to very strange texture of the skin appearance and tonal transition. Work on an image with this technique is a bad practice. It has its place in the workflow of a finisher, but should not be the go-to tool for all and be all. Other tools such as temples and healing brush clones can get good results, spend as little time and even less with a divided frequency.

Frequency separation tends to go the people are carried out for a natural outcome of what should. Using Photoshop tools avoids this problem. For me, the frequency separation occurs after routine cleaning with a combination of brush and clone stamp of healing, and after dodging and burning problem areas. I use a frequency division when both techniques are not enough. But I go back to do the use of the frequency separation in a future article.

Dodging and burning increased 100%

I have already spoken in previous articles . Bringing more than 100 percent dodging and burning is often a waste of time. To speed up your workflow, you should instead make the best of the edition of 100 percent and then zoom in some regions, if necessary. 100 percent in Photoshop to zoom, press Ctrl + Cmd + 1 or 1 goal is to make the colors correspond to eliminate the problems with the details and texture as possible.

Dodging and burning requires a lot of patience, to completely clean image. If you need to keep your note in a certain period of time, do not try to operate the zoom to 400 percent, and you will see a significant improvement in terms of the amount of time that you can be seen in front of the screen. Also, keep in mind that it is unlikely that anyone of pixels to see your images pixel. Not everyone is a voyeur of pixels, so there is no reason to change pixel by pixel.

As you can see, both views could do the job. However, in a tight zoom, we can see some areas could have used more work. Knowledge of these images can not be seen is means other social networks, and a few small impressions, there was no reason to change the zoom to 400 percent of output; 100 percent, it worked very well for the desired result.

On dodge and burn Do not concentrate, with frequency tones Split

If you are happy with his flight and firing, then the point is for the frequency separation. In my article I mentioned earlier, I was talking on the radio about this technique. Now for the tone of the evening, I'm not the same advice from my range of options. Rather, I think this is from 2.0 to 4.0. My goal is to get as many texture in the lowest frequency, but keep the colors as accurate therein. He let me work in tonal transition - or micro transition as some call it - very quickly and efficiently.

After creating my frequency separation, I. A layer between the high and low frequencies Use a soft brush opacity 100 percent and a very low flow rate (1.5 percent) and paint the colors must carefully balance passages where then. Do not forget, often calculate the new color to keep the natural colors possible. Sampling is the key here.

Paint here should similarly to what happens when dodging and burning, are used to delete an image. For example, if a point of light that must be corrected shows off a color that is darker and very gently painted on it until it disappears. This way of working, you should be very good results and spend much less time than with the local dodge and burn technique alone. It may not be as clean and accurate, but it does the job faster and most customers suffice. Again, only a few customers are pixel peepers look exactly to work. Combining Local dodging and burning with a frequency spacing to correct transitions is very powerful. If you get a hang of it, you might have difficulty must dodge and burn again only negative. You have been warned.

The difference here is minimal. In particular it is visible on the right side. I could have used a trick and burn the film to do the work, but that would probably have had a change of color result. With the frequency separation to change easily customized skin tones with minimal loss of texture and highly visible color.

Keep your processing layers

For the same reason why I do not work with a content of my RAW files, I'll never flatten PSD / TIFF before approved and printed out by the customer. If my client is to ask for a change, I want to be able to open my file and to make corrections to my layers very quickly. I do not want to change to my file back! TIFF or PSD with layers takes up too much space, of course, but in my opinion (and experience), it is really worth to keep for a few weeks or months. External hard drives and a cloud of space does not cost much more, creating a backup of files and should not be a problem.

Use actions and scripts

See the number of people who do not take advantage of the power of scripts and actions that always fascinated. Both tools are probably two things that I can not live without it. I my own actions and scripts designed to obtain for graduation or color impression and flow very similar work in my commercial work. I also use the touch panel Academy religiously every day. It allows me to focus on the problems in my table and not in the technical parameters with which to correct them. Proceed to use the menu of Photoshop Apply an image to create a frequency separation is just a waste of time. I prefer to use the precious seconds to tighten my pictures.

Once your workflow is available, look at the creation of their own actions or scripts. This will help you to stay consistent and avoid having several very different forms retouched photos on a single task.

Of these six tips that save time, such as the frequency spacing is probably helped with skin tones night. I rarely used in this way, until recently, and for large commercial work, he saved me more than once. About editing photos for fashion blogs or corporate concerts probably more will be as happy to try it.

The other thing that has struck me recently that we, the photographers and retouching, tend to seek absolute perfection, so that our customers do not. You wrong, I'm not telling you to edit your photos in painting, I simply say that rather than change from pixel to pixel, we should therefore focus our images of their end use. If your customer needs images to social networks, there is no need to obsess over some very fine details that will not be seen. The same is true for large plates. I heard him say a picture photographers for such a large format large wall sculptures should be retouched. In some cases, it can be corrected, but only a minority of times. Who seen getting close to a panel? Therefore, "employees 100 percent zoom" works very well with most editing operations.

If you have to use special techniques to touch as soon as possible? I would like to create specific products that go into detail about some of these techniques? If you have to touch personal and commercial work in a different way?

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is to read your content and on the website of another person, please read the FAQ on fivefilters.org/content-only/faq .php # publishers.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire