10.09.2024

I suffer from chronic pain and my best heating pad is on sale | Houses and gardens

I suffer from severe chronic pain due to several illnesses, and despite the strong medications I take daily, there is one item in my house that does an excellent job of relieving my pain, especially in cold weather: my electric heating pad.

I have one plugged in in the living room, another in my office and a third next to my bed. I use it on my stomach for my severe endometriosis and to relieve pain from dislocations that I live with daily due to Ehlers-Danlos hypermobility, a connective tissue disorder.

There are plenty of electric heating pads on sale for Amazon Prime Day, which is now reaching its final day . So here's what I've learned about choosing the best heating pads after buying at least 30 of them over the last 15 years, including my favorite on sale during Amazon's Big Deal Days event.

What to look for in a great electric heating pad

Blue heating pad on bed with soft lighting and white controller in view

(Image credit: Getty Images)

Because I keep heating pads in various places around the house (and also in the office before I work from home), I have purchased at least 30 of them over the last 15 years. All of my electric heating pads come from Amazon and I have learned a lot about what makes a good heating pad.

Firstly, versatility. You want to choose one that has at least six heat settings. Everyone's pain and heat threshold is different and may change over time or weather. Therefore, do not opt ​​for a three-stage threshold. You will simply limit yourself.

Next, make sure it has an auto shut-off feature for added safety and timer options that allow for rides of at least 120 minutes to keep you comfortable for as long as possible. I notice that when I have a heating pad with a shorter maximum run time, it turns off quickly, I'm busy working or relaxing, and my pain increases in the background without me knowing why - the heat is gone

The good news is that they usually heat up pretty quickly, in about five minutes.

My favorite model of electric heating pad is currently on sale for Amazon Prime Day and if I ever need a new one, this model is the first one I look for in the sales.

Electric heating pads are a great addition to your winter toolkit, allowing you to worry less about keeping your home warm all day and simply keeping the area where you sit warm.

Other things to know about heating pads from my many years of use are that while some of them are available for under $15, they tend not to get as hot as you'd like and the plug may or may not break within six months works more. . You get what you pay for and I usually buy heating pads for $25-$35 and they last.

With the design chosen above, in my experience they generally work fine for at least 18 months to two years, and that means I use them 6 to 12 hours a day between September and May, and intermittently from June onwards. August. It's used a lot more than the average person, so your device will likely run smoothly for at least a few years.

Plus, they're economical to run and I've never experienced a major change in my energy bill. There are other ways to reduce your heating costs . So don't skimp on the comfort that a good heating pad offers.

Just follow the cleaning tips you can find online on the subject. Although some come off their cords and are washed, I would never recommend them because I know people who have bought washable ones and still ended up breaking theirs in the washing machine.

Instead, I use a damp cloth with some Dawn dish soap, available in a handy multipack on Amazon , and wipe down the areas needed. Then I turn it on and it dries itself. Never clean your heating pad with a damp cloth.

Who else are electric heating pads suitable for?

My gray heating pad on my lime green mesh office chair in a terracotta office with a blue bobby lamp and white shutters in the background

My home office wouldn't be complete without a heating pad

(Image credit: Future/Punteha van Terheyden)

Although I suffer from chronic pain, heating pads are also great for people who are very cold, those who want to reduce their energy costs this winter, anyone who suffers from muscle or menstrual cramps or other body pain. They are also great for providing warmth in your home without heating up the entire house.

The only time I notice my heating pad not working is when I have a very active injury to my Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, such as a new dislocation or a partial dislocation where I use ice for the first 48 hours to reduce the swelling.

Honestly, given the amount of pain I'm in, I can't get through the winter or even most of the year without my heating pads in the house.

Other things to have at home for body pain

Whether you need it at home or carry it with you, these are the other heat or ice therapy products I recommend.


Then learn about maintenance tasks that will reduce your energy costs and how to set up a room to maximize heat .

Adblock test (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire