5.22.2014

Scene from the book: "My friend threw in my purse"

A few things that will help you to understand why so read Good Housekeeping magazine when I was in fourth grade: We live in the middle of a jungle (literally), and we had no TV, no internet, no movies, no shopping. (Note: That was a long time ago, I'm an old man.) And secondly, I have almost everything I could get my hands on, with the possible exception of my father's collection comment Bible that was read very dry, even for myself.

Meanwhile, I've read massive Summer Belva Plain "Evergreen" (which was very popular at the time, and annoyingly not put sex in his novels), the biography of Peter Massie Peter the Great (surprisingly, many more sex in this than in the novels), and every newspaper magazine crumb of paper I could find.

Good Housekeeping offers a lot to read (in part to American expats I like printed like a summer cold to share, if you have never received a magazine, but rather a library card), and because there is not much in each reading: sweetens a novel the end of each edition, the Erma Bombeck column (collect their formats today, not even a joke) at least one "Short, Short full article on these two pages" and many tips, etiquette, cooking, child care and the rest (no sex).

My favorite, without a doubt, was always Heloise. If the entries in the previous paragraph means nothing to you, then the name can also leave Heloise scratch your head. But Heloise is supernatural gray hair expert cleaning Arts, whose column appeared in the magazine since yonks. I thought if it was good fabulous Frostmane their catalog cards sneaky cheater hair cleansing.

In fact, I remember still and use a number of tricks that I learned from reading your columns in the last few years (my favorite is the use of nuts with minor scratches to remove wood floors and furniture, walnut oil works magic) .

If my life is not the lack of reading material, I always like to engage cleaning tips, especially those of people who read funny. Jolie Kerr wrote a column called "Ask a clean person" for some time, most online was released, and spent his first book on cleaning: "My friend threw in my bag ... and other things that you can 't can Ask Martha "is so much fun during the entire title, and serious. Daughter she knows for advice!

Basically, the book works for both types of people. The first type is the person who has never had a stage and need a primer / Encyclopedia has. Let's say you have someone who begins to know his first apartment; I saw the room that "take" in the house of their fathers. You know, you do not know how to clean and you are worried. Can certainly not just be given this book because it is full of useful tips, but because it's fun, and they believe that cleaning is the worst. It reads like a talkative friend that you like and think is cool, maybe even cooler than you, but that just happens to know how to clean every part of your home and how to prevent mold. (Sorry guys I know who is going to graduate this year, and now they know what they get from me as a gift!)

The second type of person is the person who, like me, is to read faster, more insidious, Super Secret (!) Tips for easy cleaning loves. In the book there are many useful graphics that remind you that things are so colors, an integral part of the most sensitive parts of the interview guides and well organized references for almost all eventualities cleaning. Best of all, there are some tips and tricks in this book that I have never known. That alone is worth it in my eyes the price of the book.

Although I love to share all my wisdom with you, what I really want is for everyone to read this book and with me in this subgroup of madmen collecting cleaning tips. We could call it the Secret Club Clean? What do you think?

• "My friend threw in my bag ... and other things that you do not ask Martha" by Jolie Kerr was published by Plume in February. It costs $ 15.

• Adam Jones works for Inklings Bookshop. He and other Inklings employees the books in this space a week.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and read on the website of another person, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org / content / faq.php # publishers only.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire