9.29.2024

I tried 3 easy DIY recipes for fall and it won the rose | Houses and gardens

When I imagined having my own home, I thought I would be the person who made DIY room sprays. Somewhere between concerns about cost, time and skills required, I stopped trying.

But with fall approaching, I didn't want to let another cozy season go by without knowing how to keep my room smelling nice with my own room sprays . I took the chance and tried three homemade room spray recipes.

I looked for simpler ones and added my own touches by incorporating my favorite fall scents. I was pleasantly surprised at how affordable and easy it was to customize my own room sprays, and Bourbon Rose was my winner.

1. Homemade Citrus Room Spray Recipe

Ingredients needed for a room spray with lemon, ginger and orange.

(Image credit: Future/Ciera Cree)

Citrus scents are very popular in many households, especially in the bathroom, as they smell very clean and fresh. Since fall, I decided to combine the lemon scent with that of mandarin and ginger to add additional layers of fragrant complexity as well as some warm spice.

What You Need for a Homemade Citrus Room Spray Recipe

What you'll need to make my DIY Citrus Twist room spray costs about $2.50 per bottle, although you may already have most of it at home:

Proceedings

The method for making this room spray is simple, but I had to remind myself not to be too aggressive with the essential oil. When working with several different flavors like in this recipe, it's important not to use too much oil as the flavors can overpower each other.

Start by measuring the baking soda into a clean measuring cup, like the 2-Cup Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup from Walmart , for easier pouring later, and mix it with two cups of hot water. The heat from the water will dissolve the baking soda and ensure that no gravel residue is left in the final room spray solution.

Once the baking soda dissolves in the hot water (you can stir it to make this happen faster), add the juice of half a lemon and carefully measured drops of essential oil.

From now on, simply allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before transferring it to a spray bottle of your choice. You'll have about two cups of your room spray and a little more thanks to the lemon liquid.

Make sure to always shake the room spray well before use.

My verdict on the Citrus Twist room spray recipe

Of the three recipes I wanted to try, I assumed this one would bring the strongest scent into a room since citrus cleaning products tend to be pretty intense and are one of the most popular cleaning tips . However, this was the weakest of all and quite disappointing.

After waiting half an hour for the boiled water to cool and another 10 minutes to prepare it, the sprayed mixture gave off a faint odor that quickly dissipated. The jar of leftover mixture smelled amazing, but when you sprayed it on, the same bright lemon note with a hint of spice didn't really fill the room.

This recipe may work better in a diffuser, but since we were hoping for a room spray, I decided to modify the recipe to make it more simmering in hopes of extending the longevity of the long-lasting lemon scent. I tried boiling slices of a whole lemon and a whole tangerine in water for 10 minutes and then mixing them with two tablespoons of witch hazel and my essential oil drops once the mixture had cooled. I didn't use baking powder in my recipe.

The room smelled great while the pot was bubbling and the witch hazel definitely helped improve the recipe as the smell when sprayed in two rooms now lasts much longer. In a small bathroom with a hood, the smell lasted for about an hour, and the same was true in a medium-sized bedroom with the door closed.

The scent was light and not at all reminiscent of a lemon scented cleanser, with a warm note of ginger in the essential oil. If I were to do it again, I would add more essential oil because the scent of the oil seemed to be the first note to dissipate from the spray, but the air in the rooms I sprayed in smelled fresher for hours , after I sprayed it. although the smell became more subtle. .

An ideal scent for a bathroom, a stuffy room or perhaps a kitchen to eliminate the smell of food. It was definitely worth tweaking the recipe and spending an extra five minutes chopping the fruit and adding it to the witch hazel.

2. Recipe for a homemade fireplace scent room spray

Ingredients needed to make an alcohol-based room spray with a fall scent

(Image credit: Future/Ciera Cree)

When I found an essential oil called "Smokey Fireside" at the store, I was hoping it would be the perfect spray for my fall room. While researching easy recipes, I found that making a spray with isopropyl alcohol can extend the life of your homemade sprays. So I decided to try it out and compare it with the results of my other recipes.

What you need for a Homemade Fireplace Scent Room Spray Recipe

The approximate cost per bottle is $2 to $3. Like Citrus Twist, these costs will be lower if you already have some or all of these items at home.

Proceedings

To make this homemade room spray , all you need to do is mix and shake everything in any order. When I applied the essential oil drops, I was skeptical that the spray would work well because going from two or three drops in the Citrus Twist DIY Room Spray to 30 seemed like a big step forward. However, since the recipe contains alcohol, I was hoping that the aroma of the essential oils would help balance out the smells.

This honestly looked like the quickest room spray recipe ever created, so I couldn't wait to see how it turned out.

My verdict on the homemade fireplace scent room spray recipe

This recipe was quickest to make in just five minutes. For the small amount of time and effort required, the DIY room spray was pleasant and gave off a subtle, spicy woody scent that didn't linger in the air for more than 10 minutes.

I tried adding more drops of essential oil, which didn't help much, but after some experimentation I found that the scent seems to work best as a DIY laundry spray and subtly lasts for over an hour when sprayed on a pillow . I imagine spraying this solution on the living room curtains to make your house smell like fall . However, if you don't use a large amount, it will be extremely subtle yet pleasant.

The recipe might have worked better with witch hazel or perhaps a stronger, more expensive brand of essential oil. Or if you want to make a reed diffuser , make sure this subtle blend permeates your room evenly to keep the scent in the room.

3. Homemade Bourbon Rose Room Spray Recipe

Ingredients needed to make a natural rose scented spray with added bourbon vanilla essential oil

(Image credit: Future/Ciera Cree)

The roses in my garden are still clinging to the last rays of sunshine before fall arrives, so it was the perfect time to try out a natural rose scent in the room . Adding notes of bourbon and vanilla through essential oils seemed like the ideal combination for cozy home scents.

What you need for a Homemade Bourbon Rose Room Spray Recipe

Approximate cost is $2 ingredients per bottle. If you want to use fresh rose petals in your garden, you don't have to factor them into the total cost. However, if this is not the case or your rose is not currently blooming, purchase an inexpensive rose bouquet from your local store.

  • 1 spray bottle
  • Fresh rose petals: You can use two level tablespoons of dried petals instead, but a handful of fresh petals produce a better scent. It will be cheaper to buy them in the store for a few dollars, as online stores usually sell display bouquets or gifts.
  • 2 tablespoons witch hazel: Available at Walmart
  • 3 drops of essential oil: I chose bourbon vanilla. The Craft Premium Fragrance Oil from Amazon comes with two fantastic scents, one of which matches mine perfectly. However, if you prefer to opt for a super strong oil, Amazon's Pure Vanilla Essential Oil should be right up your alley.

Proceedings

The petal spray method tends to take longer to make than other recipes because you have to patiently infuse the plant's flavor with boiling water and then give the liquid enough time to cool. But when it comes to the tricks that people with nice-smelling houses always use , I'm willing to invest the time.

Start by boiling a handful of rose petals in water on the stove for about 10 minutes. The water should take on a yellowish hue after boiling. The petals also appear translucent.

Then strain the petals from the rose water and pour the solution into a clean measuring cup. Then add two tablespoons of witch hazel to this mixture. It's optional to add essential oils, but if you want to do like I did, add these drops at this point too.

Once the mixture has cooled to room temperature, pour it into a spray bottle. Shake well before use.

My verdict on the homemade bourbon rose room spray recipe

This spray is hands down my favorite and I plan on using it again and again. It is soft, light and pleasant to smell. I tested the spray in a small bathroom with an extractor hood and in my bedroom with the door closed. Even with the hood on, the combination of rose, bourbon, and vanilla remained noticeable in the bathroom for about an hour and a half, and subtle for several more hours after that.

The smell stayed in the room for hours, but sometimes almost all day. I recommend applying a few drops of essential oil in this spray, although this is optional as the bourbon and vanilla notes really stand out without overpowering the rose.

At first it seemed like a long time to wait half an hour for the water in which the rose petals were boiled to cool down. However, to achieve the expected result, it is definitely worth taking the total forty-five minutes to cook and prepare this air spray. I can't wait to do this again and experiment with different essential oil supplements.

my conclusion

Three different colored room sprays in transparent 100 ml spray bottles with white caps

From left to right, my DIY room sprays: Fireside Fragrance, Citrus Twist and Bourbon Rose.

(Image credit: Future/Ciera)

What I remember most from my first experience making DIY room sprays is:

  • Don't doubt all-natural ingredients like witch hazel until you try them. You might be pleasantly surprised because recipes like this have been around for a long time and for good reason.
  • If you're experimenting with different scents, try to find cheaper ones to try out, like I did. However, if you know what you want, invest in a more expensive bottle. My set of six essential oils costs about $6, but it would be worth spending the money on a better oil for a scent that lasts longer in the air. Anthropologie's Campo Manifest Pure Essential Oil Kit features gorgeous scents like lime, mandarin, cedarwood, and mulberry.
  • Don't be afraid to modify recipes you find online if they don't work for you, as long as it doesn't pose a safety risk. If you want a stronger aroma, add more essential oil and more natural ingredients like a second lemon or a handful of rose petals.

Now that you've figured out how to easily make your own room sprays, why not think about the rooms you'll use them in, as well as other tips for great-smelling rooms? These things that people with smelly lockers always do are easy to incorporate into your life and will eliminate shoe smells in no time.

Adblock test (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire