4.04.2022

Tips from Héloïse: removing soot from the fireplace glass | Properties | timenews.net

Dear Héloïse, In a recent article, a reader reported that she had a problem removing soot from her fireplace glass. I worked as a chimney sweep for 32 years. Do not wet ash or rub against windows. It is a mild abrasive and leaves glass stains. A better way is to clean the windows as best you can (or if they are new) then pour some household cleaner on the INSIDE of the glass and let it dry. This forms a soap film on the glass which, like the soot and residue film on glass, can be easily removed with a damp paper towel. Then reapply the cleanser. I hope it helps. – Bill Klein, via email

FUSES

Dear Héloïse, a suggestion: Write the date of receipt and the customer service (technical support) number in the instruction manual when you receive a new item. Also take a picture on your phone to record it. This saves you time when you need information. — W. in Valparaiso, Indiana

SHRIMP STORAGE

Dear Héloïse, we love shrimp. They're great when you sauté them, add okra, or wrap them in bacon. A few years ago someone told me to take a quart size freezer bag and put 10-12 shrimp in it. Fill the bag with enough water to cover the shrimp. Then squeeze the air out of the bag. You have a freezer bag that looks like a water bladder with shrimp in it. Place this bag in the freezer for long-term storage. I've kept shrimp for up to eight months with no problems. I simply ran warm water over it and into the bag to thaw the shrimp and enjoy. – Doyle H. in Houston, Texas

TIPS FOR NEW PARENTS

Dear Héloïse, every year I bought a birthday card for each of my children and wrote them a short note telling them about their tastes, their friends, their hobbies and some anecdotes. It used to be 5 minutes once a year. I put the cards in a shoe box in my closet. As each boy turned 18, I would share his childhood story with him. It meant a lot to them. - Nancy, via email

ENCOUNTER OF SPICES

Dear Héloïse, Every time I buy spices, herbs and condiments, I write somewhere on the package with a permanent marker the date I opened it. Marking the date lets you know when to throw out items and replace with newer, cooler items. – Nancy O. in San Antonio, Texas

round burgers

Subscribe to Kingsport Daily Digest!

The best stories straight to your inbox.

Dear Héloïse, my kids love that their burgers are round and not deformed. To be honest, me too. I take a large can of peaches, wipe the bottom clean, and then dip them in the burger meat. It leaves an impression that I slice and I have a nice round burger. — Cathy W. in Parma, Ohio

BERRY PASTE

Dear Héloïse, my strawberries still look mushy after washing and chilling. Am I doing something wrong? – Victoria C. in Florence, Alabama

Victoria, don't wash your berries before refrigerating them. Store them in a colander or plastic basket to allow air to circulate around the berries.

But be sure to wash them before you eat them. - Heloise

FADED COLOURS

Dear Héloïse, how can I prevent my vegetables from turning pale or discolored during cooking? — Edna L. in Emporia, Kansas

Edna, yes. For greener or more colorful carrots etc. just add some vinegar to the water while cooking.

And as a bonus, it also reduces odors! - Heloise

recommended videos

Try Adblock (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire