7.22.2022

Wash hair inside out: more volume in fewer washes - Good+Good

Considering how much damage summer does to our hair (if you look at you, sun, sweat, and salt), it's no surprise that the internet has been full of viral hacks lately that promise to make strands softer, shinier, and... to make it healthier. One thing that caught our eye recently was shared by bachelor's graduate Ashley Spivey , who swears that washing your hair inside out is the key to a thorough clean, better volume and more time between washes. .

"When I shampoo in the shower, I part my hair into an upper half and a lower half," she shared in a recent Instagram post. "I apply enough shampoo to those areas, then add some water and rotate my head to make sure I'm getting enough under my hair."

"Then I roll over and use a scalp massager to make sure my scalp is completely clean... Then I rinse, making sure to rinse the bottom section well, flipping your hair if you have any, sometimes I shampoo, when i feel like it hair needs it. After shampooing, Spivey uses the same head-turning motion to apply conditioner to the mid-lengths and ends of her hair. She wears only silk hair ties to hold her curls and ties her hair in a bun when showering. Ah, and sleep on two (very glamorous) silk pillowcases to reduce frizz between washes.

So, is Spivey's shampoo routine getting a rose from our trusted barbers, or will it be phased out and live on as another failed internet beauty trend? (...see what I did there?) It turns out there can be legitimate reasons to switch up your routine and try the hack for yourself.

What the pros have to say

According to Jamie Wiley , creative director of hair care brand Pureology, washing your hair upside down is effective because it allows you to wash your hair from different angles. "An oily scalp can be caused by using the wrong emulsion and applying it to the entire scalp area," she says. Skipping certain areas of the head because of their thickness or coarseness results in inadequate scalp cleansing, leaving oil and debris on the scalp even after you think you've washed it.

"The back of the head is typically where people walk through, and it tends to be concentrated on the top, but most of our hair is on the back of the head," says Aaron Barry , a celebrity stylist and makeup artist. and added. The result is an oily scalp, which can lead to loss of volume, wet dandruff and scalp build-up. Twisting your hair makes it easier to get to those often-overlooked areas that need as much attention as the top of your head for a really deep clean.

Adding a scalp massager to the mix, like Spivey does, helps take this deep cleansing to the next level. "A scalp massager is great for exfoliating the scalp and stimulating the follicles to encourage new hair growth," says Barry. "If you have a sensitive scalp and need a little scalp exfoliation, I would go with the Alterna My Canvas New Beginnings My Hair Exfoliating Cleanser . Massage with your fingertips, not your nails, and be close [with your pressure]."

While this method can be especially helpful for anyone with coarse, coarse hair (those textures make it harder to touch hidden parts of your scalp while shampooing), pros say anyone can benefit from turning their routine (literally) on its head . "This application technique is great for all hair types," says Wiley. "However, it works better for higher hair textures (3a-4c) as the density of curls on coils requires more parting and scalp massage."

As with almost anything in the beauty world, there are always risks when trying a new technique for the first time. "For wavy, curly, and frizzy hair, be gentle with a scalp massager and use your fingers to part the hair section by section," says Wiley. "If you have any of these hair types, you should avoid vigorous circular motions, which can create knots and block your hair."

To fix this, Barry recommends brushing out tangles in the shower with a Tangle Teaser ($15). "It's a great tool for combing conditioner through the mid-lengths and ends of your hair in the shower, and helps prevent tangles if they get tangled during this reverse washing technique."

"As a disclaimer, always use caution when headbutting in the shower Cirque du Soleil style," says Barry. Invest in a great non-slip bath mat and let that wild fur roll on the dance floor.

What happened when we tried?

Based on the rave reviews from professionals about the inside-out method of washing hair, Well + Good beauty editor Zoë Weiner decided to try it on her own 3b tresses.

"It might sound gross, but I never realized how dirty my scalp was until I washed my hair inside out," she says. "Returning to my head allowed me to scrub parts of my scalp that had never seen shampoo before, particularly my neck, which sees more sweat and dirt than anywhere else on my body. It helped me really focus the product on the top of my head and avoid long lengths that get in the way of normal washing and get very dry and messy if I use too much shampoo. Also, I could use my head massager without getting gnarly knots generate.

As for the conditioner, "Putting it on backwards really allowed me to focus on my ends and lengths without making my scalp greasy," says Weiner. "The whole process left me with a super clean scalp and a huge amount of va-va-vum and I honestly don't think I'll ever go back to my usual routine."

Any pro tips you shared? "Wet your hair right side up and wait to turn your head until you're completely drenched," she says. "Otherwise, water in the nose is pretty much guaranteed. Trust me on that one."

For more hair care tips recommended by the editors, watch the video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8udRbSUZd0&t=110s

Want more beauty insights from our editors? Follow our Fineprint Instagram account for essential tips and tricks.

These products are independently selected by our editors. A purchase through our links may generate a commission for Well+Good.

Try Adblock (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire