9.29.2014

Rescue Antique mama makes better that old

Last week a sinking stomach was morning, I went into my garage to my 200 years of hand-painted flower in the Hungarian chest to find with green mold. I was sick. The golden age is now bound to the stake, because I found in my hot, humid garage.

When I moved into my house project start current scene in July not to make for the sake of style or space, rustic chest with several other pieces of furniture the cut.

For those who has never been to Florida in the summer hot melt like wax and underarms sultry as an opera singer. Press the things here that would not grow elsewhere. I for the life of the plant. Nothing more and more on my antiques.

Fortunately, this afternoon, as supplied by angel wings, a copy of the review of "The Furniture Bible: Everything you need to know to recognize, restore and care for the furniture" came to my door.

I picked it up. Kissed. Laminate enough to see that the encyclopedic book lived up to its name, and not take the time to snake an interview with the author Christopher Pourny to save my chest, hopefully.

Pourny lives in New York, where he., A business furniture restoration He learned the trade with his old parents distributor in southern France.

After I congratulated him for his book, I was treated to what was on my chest, literally. I have photos of the green and got ready for a big ole never complain antique store in damp garages. (Yes, I know better).

Instead, it calms me down. "The people here are so afraid to die, but in France, that as a sign of a good cheese they see." Pourny told me that with a French accent gets to me every time.

"Do not be afraid," he said. "It's not a bad shape."

The reason the breast - from the days of the early 1800s, maybe the late 1700s - no furniture was, um, matured, is because in the 1800s and before painting furniture craftsmen from milk show that proteins in a mold.

More things you never knew.

Pourny gave me step by step instructions to restore my chest: "First place, stored in a dry place and get some sun on it."

"Uh, Christopher," he said, "This is Florida. That is not dry in six months." I decided instead on the chest between the garage and the house with air conditioning use, and place them in a sunny window.

"Secondly, the brush with a soft brush., You will be surprised how much you get rid of mold."

I put on a face mask, and the former taken outside of Hungary and brushed. He was right.

"Thirdly, you get a damp cloth and wipe the loose powder." A duster is a very thin fabric coated with a sticky substance adhering dust and particles. It was fantastic.

"Fourth, rub some soap (to have, because I like to happen) to flush on a damp, not wet, cloth and wipe all surfaces. No need. Pourny well as clean olive oil base, he used his all his clothes in to wash his car.

Finally Pourny I hit it with a soft cloth and wipe the chest with a coat of linseed oil or beeswax and suede.

That's it! She was again good as old. Even better!

From there Pourny and threw me in a long, love-feast focus on furniture, in which I asked him what he wanted to know more about people who care for them. Here is what he said:

• People need to be less afraid of antique furniture. If you have a legacy to properly use and care for it is there. On a pedestal you put them not under glass and never touch. Think of your furniture as a pet. A relationship with her, take care of it and enjoy it.

• Old furniture are well arranged. Although it is made for TV drama, it is not true that if you have a antique, is in ruins touch. Rather, it is important that the life of the part to be in good condition and operational. If the hinge is broken, or the drawer slide to fix. If the surface is dull, restore.

• Antiques are not just for old ladies and people with lots of money. Many are accessible, affordable and very chic.

• built before the Second World War furniture requires different treatment. Furniture before the war was probably with oil, water or alcohol-based products that are a bit more fragile than the post-war furniture after the invention of paint and lacquer finished. Sprinkle the pieces postwar use a feather duster or a dry cloth, and not a product. For old items, dust in the same way, but with a little light wax or twice a year, not more.

• Use a lot less. Almost everything can be cleaned with a little soap or wax, bees wax or wax the color of the wood, a drop of oil on the joints (not closures) repaired and a soft toothbrush.

• Dirt no patina. It is one thing outside black and green to have a bronze statue with age, which is intentional is. But he should never covered good money on the table to start. Polish your silver or bronze is not a crime. However, afraid that someone people say, "Gee, seems that this is the business!" Do not worry.

"The Bible Furniture" Artisan Books, be Nov.4 or pre-order is available commercially http://bit.ly/FurnitureBible

Join me in two weeks Pourny gives us a history lesson on the basis of the chairs that will never see the chairs or the story in the same way.

Columnist and speaker Marni Jameson is the author of "House of Havoc" and "The House Always Wins" (Da Capo Press). Contact them by http://www.marnijameson.com.

Copyright © 2014 Orlando Sentinel

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and read it on another site, please read the FAQ fivefilters.org/content-only / faq. php # publishers.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire