6.25.2024

The reader gives two practical tips – Daily Press

Dear Héloïse, I have two pieces of advice that I think might be useful to others: The first is about reusing envelopes. Every day when I receive the mail, instead of throwing the envelopes in the trash, I put them in front of my desk drawer. If the phone rings and I need a quick piece of paper to jot down information, it's easy to use and free!

I also love watching birds in a birdbath right outside my window. When I recently used the blower to remove the cover, I discovered that it was the perfect tool for removing dirty water from the birdbath. Many bird baths are heavy, making it difficult for dirty water to drain away. It was a quick and easy fix.

If the birdbath is particularly dirty, I simply wipe it down with a paper towel and refill it. The birds are always there when there is clean water! Thank you very much. –Darlene Duprey, Waterloo, New York

SELL YOUR PARENTS' HOUSE

Dear Héloïse, if you're cleaning out a deceased relative's house to sell, be careful of hidden money. Many older adults keep cash in drawers, pockets, and other "hiding places."

Also look for a safe deposit box, savings accounts, CDs, and brokerage accounts. Sometimes this information is not shared with your adult children. –Susan, in Los Angeles

PICKLED VEGETABLES

Dear Héloïse: I love vegetables and anything marinated. After I finish a jar of store-bought cucumbers, I save the pickling liquid and reuse it with whatever vegetables I have on hand. I cut or slice them and then microwave them until they are crispy and tender. I make this with broccoli, cauliflower, red peppers, carrots and green beans. They keep in the fridge overnight and are ready for salads or appetizers the next day.

Raw cucumbers with a few thin slices of onion also taste good this way. Thank you for your advice ! – Noli, in Manitou Springs, Colorado

SHARPENING SCISSORS

Dear Héloïse, my scissors were so blunt that they were useless. This morning my husband sharpened them all by simply cutting fine sandpaper with these scissors. There you have it, an incredibly sharp pair of scissors! – Kit and Randy, in Capistrano Beach, California

Control flyaway hairs

Dear Héloïse, I received this advice from my hairdresser years ago. I live in a Mediterranean climate and when I dry my hair I often have problems with static electricity and my hair floats everywhere. Many people have this problem with their clothing in the winter, so I keep a can of anti-static spray handy.

Here's my tip: spray a little of this spray on your brush, pick or comb. You don't need much. Then run it through your dry hair. It will instantly calm the fringe of hair blowing around your face. I even spray some on my fingers and run it through my hair. It doesn't affect your style or weigh down your hair. He just controls it. –HSW, in Santa Clarita, California

— — —

References to Héloïse occasionally appear in lifestyles. Readers may send a tip to Heloise, PO Box 795000, San Antonio, Texas 78279-5000, fax it to 210-HELOISE or email it to Heloise@Heloise.com. Letters will not be answered personally.

Today's latest news and more in your inbox

Adblock test (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire