2.13.2024

I'm a cleaning editor who runs marathons: Here's my laundry routine for smelly workout clothes

As a home editor , I've written a lot about laundry, and that's been a big advantage for me since I also run a lot, which means I always do original laundry. I have completed approximately 50 races, including five marathons and 15 half marathons. I often walk past hours all at once, and that usually results in some pretty smelly workout gear. (For example, the hairs on my nose were practically singed by my own putrid body odor... Turns out people can really smell bad!)

However, I managed to adapt and optimize my laundry routine to combat the dreaded permafunk and "reblooming." (Resurgence occurs when clothes smell good when washed, but the smell returns after wearing.) So if you feel like your clothes are going to stink in the long run, there is hope! Even if you're not a fitness fanatic (maybe you have an active job or are just a sweaty person), you'll probably find success with the method I've described. It may require an additional product or two and a few extra steps (easy!), but I promise you'll conquer BO and have the freshest-smelling clothes with these tips.

Dry sweaty clothes before putting them in the laundry basket.

This is perhaps the most important rule and, for me, the biggest change: I always dry my sweaty gym clothes before throwing them in the basket. If you throw them in the basket immediately, they will simply marinate. , soaking germs and bacteria until wash day. And in my experience it practically creates a bad smell that is more persistent and difficult to remove. You can hang them on a towel rack in your bathroom or purchase a clothesline , which is what I did.

Spray stain remover on the most original areas

Zachary Pozniak (the laundry genius behind @jeeves_ny ) once gave me this tip over the phone and I've found that it really works: If you want to make sure you focus on the scent, try applying stain remover to the pleasant spots (e.g. the areas to spray the armpits). ). ) as soon as you take off your clothes, i.e. while they are still wet, but before you hang them up to dry. I like Puracy stain remover.

Take advantage of this triumvirate of laundry products.

When laundry day comes, the type and quality of products you use are very important. I have defined three essential elements that I consider to be my "magic formula".

High-quality detergent with enzymes.

Of course, this is the product you absolutely need. A high-quality detergent that contains enzymes is ideal because these enzymes are great at interfering with body functions. (Enzymatic cleaners are generally great for targeting proteins found in organic matter like blood and sweat, which is why they are often recommended for cleaning pet urine!)

I use Tide Hygienic Clean Heavy Duty 10X Free liquid detergent and I prefer the liquid detergent because I can control the amount of detergent I add. You want to use just enough to get the job done, but not so much that it's difficult to rinse off. . Read the dosage instructions on the package, but for the size of my load I only had to fill the cap up to the first bar.

Oxygen based powder

Oxygen-based powders or oxygen bleach are ideal for eliminating bad odors. Actually! I use OxiClean's Free Multi-Purpose Stain Remover because I find it dissolves well and is odorless. For this product to be effective, like any other oxygen-based detergent, you will need to wash your clothes in warm or hot water, which is technically not ideal for the lifespan of your sports gear (excessive heat over time is not good). for stretchy materials), but I've found that washing clothes with hot water in my machine works without ripping the clothes to shreds.

Acid rinse

Downy Rinse and Refresh has become an integral part of my laundry routine. I like to think of it as an added thought – it actually eliminates any lingering odors. You may be thinking, "Fluff? Isn't that a fabric softener? Isn't that harmful to your sportswear? Rinse and Refresh is not a fabric softener. In fact, the opposite is true. It's a rinse aid and works in the same way as vinegar (so it's great for removing buildup), except it's more acidic and more effective than vinegar. You don't really need a ton either; I'm currently filling my little fabric softener slot with it. And it smells incredibly good . Sure it is strong in the bottle, but it evaporates and merges into the most enchanting and sophisticated perfume.

I've tried a few scents and my favorite is Cool Cotton and Fresh Lavender. (Now you know why my other products are fragrance-free - I don't want anything to compete with Rinse and Refresh!) And if you're not a fan of scents, there's a fragrance-free option.

Press for an additional rinse cycle

For safety reasons, I usually run an additional rinse (cold) to ensure any possible product residue is removed. Especially in sportswear, you should avoid product deposits , as they change the sweat absorption technology and promote rebirth.

Machine wash shoes

On hot days I sweat profusely in my running shoes... and it smells terrible. Here's how I unmold the shoes: After pouring in the detergent, I add some of my trusty OxiClean powder to the machine's drum, then load it with dirty towels and finally put my sneakers in . (Laces and inserts come in two separate shopping bags.) I wash with hot water and do an additional rinse with cold water. I then air dry the shoes, insoles and shoelaces.

Soak smelly hats

Yes, I machine wash my running caps, but I always air dry them to ensure they don't lose their shape. From time to time, usually in the summer, a pungent smell permeates the brim of my hat (and only my hat for some reason), and even my foolproof laundry routine can't eliminate the stench. To combat this, I will soak the hat in hot water and OxiClean for a few hours before washing the clothes . (Another tip: If you run with clean hair, your hat will smell less. Just saying!)

Get mesh bags

I'm a big fan of mesh laundry bags ! The S-hooks I purchased have a couple of them hanging on them to attach to the clothesline so they are always accessible. I get rid of my socks, hats when I'm worried about the Velcro sticking to my shirt, and even hair ties. Yes, they look great too and I wash them carefully! But putting socks in laundry bags also makes our lives a thousand times easier: it's much easier to find and combine them. Just try not to put too much in one bag, otherwise the laundry won't wash properly or dry completely. It will just be a dense, moist mass.

Adblock test (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire