6.20.2023

Why Drew Barrymore isn't here to tell you to drink water, sleep better and exercise

If anyone can find joy in the little things, it's Drew Barrymore. The actress and talk show host is known for facing storms with a smile (as her now-iconic TikTok proves), getting emotional during home renovation projects (see Viral Internet Moment #2 ), and speaking about cleaning products with an unparalleled sense of excitement.

We got the latter first-hand on a recent Zoom call with Barrymore, where we spoke about everything from her beauty routine, to her surprising love of cleaning, to their partnership and role as an investor and advocate for sustainability and a global brand . for household essentials. Grove Collaborative Retailer.

"Cleanliness is a metaphor for your life," the 48-year-old icon told Shop TODAY. "I loved it when someone once said, 'Your head is as messy as your room.' I thought, well, I can clean my room."

For Barrymore, the importance of storage goes beyond the cleanliness of the home. "When I moved emancipated into my first apartment at the age of 14, I was really overwhelmed and scared and thought, I don't know how to do all this. Cleaning and washing clothes became a means of gaining self-determination and personal responsibility for life. That was me." Life. It became this beautiful ritual, especially the laundry. I actually wrote a chapter in a book called Wildflower that explains how I believe the laundry saved my life and gave me systems and management.

He said he would take his basket to the mini-mall laundromat (he was too young to drive), grab his book, buy a box of Chinese food, and spend the afternoon there. "I felt very happy, joyful, productive, peaceful and optimistic about what was intimidating and discouraging."

That doesn't mean you tackle every task with vigour. While doing laundry remains one of her favorite chores (alongside loading the dishwasher and organizing the fridge), there's one item that's at the bottom of her list. "For some reason I don't always like vacuuming. But after that I enjoy it."

Beyond the cleanse, Barrymore's approach to self-care (though she doesn't call it that) is much more mind-centered than anything else — you won't hear her talk about the life-changing effects of a good HIIT session. .

"I'm not the person to tell you to drink water, sleep better, exercise and wear sunscreen. That will probably never be my rhetoric. I would say work on it. And I spend money on it." a constant, quite a bit of time on it. The other things? Total flop. Inconsistent, sometimes good, sometimes terrible, sometimes well, in between. So don't ask me about all that health and wellness. If you want to talk about things like problem solving and working on your S--- I can talk about it all day."

For them, this job is about going to therapy, writing everything down, and taking responsibility for their actions. "I really try to keep the whole ecosystem very open and communicative. I think the more things you sweep under the rug, the worse it stinks. And that prevents everyone from developing further."

When it comes to beauty, she says her routine is "simple" now. "Which is funny because that's not how I did it," he adds. (As proof, she shows her camera a photo that appeared in a recent issue of Drew magazine; it's a younger version of herself at a festival, with a face covered in colorful, vibrant makeup.) "It was so much cooler." But now I'm a mom, I'm busy and everything is different, I'm different and things are different.

Even as we look back, as someone who's lived their entire life in an industry obsessed with age and looks, we couldn't help but wonder what she would say to her younger self about aging given the chance to. And no, it's not about bringing more sunscreen.

"I'm so sick of hearing about SPF I can't even talk about it," Barrymore said. "I'm so tired of hearing that the answer to life lies in SPF. I get it, you don't need to hear that from me." (Don't worry, she wears it! However, she admits, "I don't wear it as often as I should.")

Instead, his advice would be, "Work on your S---". "I know I look awful, I get bloated, I get pimples, I get dark circles under my eyes when I'm not well... I know I look a lot worse when my insides are toxic. And if I have a clear head." "I work on myself and pay close attention to my behavior. I feel like it shows on the outside."

However, there are also a few things that help with this outward appearance. For our Shopping Diaries series, we asked Barrymore to imagine some of the products she loves right now, from the item she always keeps in her purse to the $12 face oil she keeps in her makeup closet.

Racing Books: Drew Barrymore

Grove Collaborative Power Clean Detergent Sheets

Earlier this year, Barrymore partnered with the Grove Collaborative to launch a co-branded Fresh Horizons collection that includes a range of home and cleaning products in two fragrances: Island Orchid and Palm Leaf Mist. And Barrymore says these washcloths are her "favorite."

"I had to go without fabric softener which felt like a big sacrifice but it makes my clothes so soft. I no longer have to use fabric softener."

Editor's Note: The Barrymore Collection Laundry Detergent Sheets are currently sold out, but you can purchase a different scent here .

Grove Collaborative Moisturizing Hand Soap + Reusable Hand Soap Dispenser

Barrymore was already an avid Grove customer, shopping under an unknown alias, when the brand approached her about a partnership. "I was a customer and thought they found my pseudonym and knew. It's so strange," she says. "And I was so excited because I was a huge fan and I did all my shopping there. I really fell in love with Grove products. I love that they have a little bit of everything and... other brands and they are great." Place to shop that didn't require me to go to 5 different retailers. But I did everything, Grove. I liked their products. When they called me to talk about working together I was very prepared and prepared. I knew exactly who they were and they were all over my kitchen.

This reusable hand soap dispenser is another choice from the collection that she says she loves "because it's opaque."

Grove Collaborative Fresh Horizons hand soap sheets

This pack of sheets, which Barrymore says she loves "so much", is perfect for keeping in her purse or gym bag so she's never without hand soap when she needs it. The brand says they dissolve in water and still give you the classic rich lather and wash-after softness of liquid soap, but in a clean, easy-to-carry cloth.

Now Solutions Vitamin E Oil

This vitamin E oil is a staple in Barrymore's skincare routine. "It doesn't contain any other ingredients other than olive oil, and unfortunately there's a lot in a lot of them, which is why it's my favorite brand."

Flower Beauty Plumping Shine Stick

"My new passion is our Flower Beauty Click Pen [shimmer pen]," says Barrymore. She says the lip gloss, which is from her own beauty line, is voluminous and has a buildable shade.

One of the things she cares most about lip products is whether they leave long-lasting moisture without lumps or cracks, and this product ticks all the boxes. "The last thing I want to do is look in the mirror and be like, oh my god, I have scabs and cracks and stuff ... I'm 48 and I've lived my life, I haven't had young lips." " , so it has to work that way."

standard playing cards

"I never have a deck of cards in my bag," she says. Whether she's with her daughters Olive, 10, and Frankie, 9, her friends, or by herself (playing solitaire), she's always ready to pass the time with a game.

Personalized Bar Bracelet

Barrymore seems to make a very good gift lady (I do think you did that for Jennifer Garner's anniversary ?), we don't know if we have an irrefutable gift that guarantees a practical win every time.

"I love heart-shaped lockets or ID bracelets, really vintage," she says. say. You could engrave a piece of wood, whatever, anything that's engraved is my favourite.

If you want to get a page out of your book, we found this popular option on Etsy that allows you to customize multiple features, from the material to the engraved message to the texture of the plate.

Tiffany & Co. Return To Tiffany Lovestruck Heart Charm Bracelet

As for jewelry, she says she loves Tiffany & Co. gifts for very special occasions, adding, "There are some that cost around $100 or $200. I don't spend a lot of money, I'm just not that person. .but anything you can engrave. Again, ID bracelets, especially silver ones, can be very affordable.

Try Adblock (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire