10.15.2020

Tired of cooking in your kitchen? 5 simple, affordable tips to organize and update

By Jennifer Day | Chicago Tribune

I recently bought a plastic bag organizer, and the other day when I was pushing a grocery bag to the limit, I felt overwhelmingly satisfied. It was a difficult emotion to find somewhere in the midst of calm, too fleeting these days, and dare I say joy?

You may not have the energy to do a full Marie Kondo-style house clean, but if the novelty of home cooking wears off as the pandemic wears off, consider a kitchen overhaul.

Here is an overview of cheap and inspiring tips, most of them free. If they seem obvious, maybe they are. But my husband and I have noticed how much these little adjustments have made our lives so much better and easier. And who couldn't use a simpler life now?

1. Perform a thorough cleaning.

It might sound like crap, but put on dance music and see how much pent-up aggression you can work on. Do all lousy jobs: go to the corners; clean grease from the top of the cabinets; Take out the stove and refrigerator. Removing this layer of dust on the refrigerator motor also makes it more efficient. You need a clean board.

2. Rearrange your refrigerator.

Yes, clean up and throw away the expired spices. But then look at the shelves. Still having trouble finding a place for milk? Consider reconfiguring them to avoid small daily glitches.

3. Rethink your drawers and cabinets.

What other nuisances could you remove with a little encouragement? Where can you put the tongs that lock the drawer every time you open it? Why not use a little-used vase as a utensil bucket so you don't have to open a drawer for those tongs?

Could you streamline your kitchen moves by mixing up what you have in your cabinets? I don't know how I chose the cupboard for my dishes when we moved; I suspect it was the one closest to the box the dishes were packed in. Moving the panels made my prep area more efficient and saved some steps, which may not sound like much, but who has a few steps to save energy these days?

4. Take part in a smooth KonMari.

As you reorganize, think about what you have and whether you really need it. If you can throw it away, remove it. Notice what is worn out and needs to be replaced. If you can afford to replace that boring can opener, do it; If not, put it on a list for later.

5. Invest in some organizers for convenience. Here are my top tips.

- A small box (free). When I tried a few meal sets, one of the companies shipped their products in a small box (think of a shoebox) that I kept the onions in. Potatoes and other root vegetables in a dry cupboard. If something rots there that hasn't happened yet, it can easily be thrown away and replaced.

- Hooks, hooks, lots of hooks (around $ 3 to $ 20). Think of magnetic hooks, 3M command hooks attached with double-sided tape, or hook mounts. I installed a large shelf in our trash cupboard for shopping bags and a smaller utensil shelf on a counter.

- A container for glass lids ($ 6.99). I tried different options for organizing the glass lids which either didn't work as promised or didn't have enough space. I chose a plastic trash can. Lids that tip over two shelves in a closet and regularly hit the floor are now perfectly contained in less than a quarter of the same space.

- A holder for plastic wrap and aluminum foil ($ 8.99). I resisted these shelves for a while thinking a drawer was fine, but then I thought of all the other things that could fit in that drawer if it didn't have the mess of parchment paper boxes. and aluminum foil and everything else. It's a great way to take advantage of dead wall space or interior doors.

- A plastic bag organizer ($ 14.99). I always thought that was ridiculous, especially since I'd tried to get plastic bags out of our lives. But then we had a son. Our organizer installed double-sided adhesive tape in about 3 minutes and has been lighting our trash can and our lives ever since.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire