2.15.2022

20 useful tips to clean and organize the house if you have it

By Dona Gregorio

Disclaimer: One of the most important things I have learned about health issues is that there is a wide range of abilities/disabilities among us. Some of us lead pretty normal lives despite our various symptoms, and some of us have symptoms so severe that we can't get out of bed let alone clean the bathroom. With this range, it's impossible to offer cleaning and organizing tips that apply to everyone. As you read them, I ask that you apply the tips that you can use according to your ability and ignore the rest.

I truly believe that my obsession with keeping a clean house is one of the reasons I started getting health problems. You see, like many of you, I had a self-diagnosed case of perfectionism long before I was diagnosed with anything else.

I like a clean house. I love it almost as much as I love cakes, cats and the coast. A clean house makes me feel more centered and fulfilled. (Yes, I know I feel like a total control freak.)

I struggled to maintain a home to be proud of while having a health issue. It's taken me a while to find a cleansing routine that works for me, and even then there are days that I can't follow it due to symptoms.

During these times, I do what I can and put off the rest to another day. I'm learning to deal with it. This is probably one of the toughest lessons chronic illness teaches me.

So let's start with the cleaning and organization tips...

clean up your house

1. Get rid of things.

If you have fewer things, you also have less things to maintain and clean. look around Need all those trinkets on your end tables to collect dust? Need that fancy dinnerware you no longer use for entertaining? We often become prisoners of our belongings. Yes, things are beautiful. yes we pay you well But things also need healing, and that takes time and effort that those of us with chronic illnesses may not have. Make cleaning a priority. Try to keep tables, cabinets, drawers, and closets as empty as possible. Less stuff means less cleaning and maintenance.

2. Assign a house to everyone.

When items have a specific range, you are more likely to keep them. For years I've struggled with a pile of papers piling up on my dining room table. Eventually, I realized that everything in the stack fell more or less into the same categories. I created folders for each category and placed them in a wall mounted folder holder in the kitchen. fag! No more random stacks of paperwork because they have a home now. Look at the areas of your home where clutter accumulates, and if there are objects that don't have a home, find one or create one.

3. Sort mail immediately.

When I receive mail from our inbox, I check it immediately. I throw all the spam in the trash. I put my invoices in my invoice folder (see above). I put magazines on my coffee table. (More on that later.) I placed my husband's mail in a special folder intended for him. Anything that needs to be done goes on my to-do pile on my home office desk. The mail is insidious. It never stops, so it's best to kill the beast right away rather than let it breed.

4. Reduce/Cancel Subscriptions.

Magazines are full of daydreams: places we want to visit, foods we want to eat, things we want to buy, but the reality is that dead trees clutter our homes. The same applies to catalogs and newspapers. Do you really read all those newspapers that sneak into your house every month? Probably not. I hardly ever reach for magazines or catalogues. Because I need it? I have internet! Everything you ever wanted to know is online. If I want to see and dream beautiful photos, there is always Pinterest. I've reduced my subscriptions to my two favorites, Country Living and Southern Living , and my coffee table is a lot cleaner as a result.

5. Establish a no shoes rule.

Having everyone remove their shoes when entering your home will drastically reduce the amount of dirt contaminating your floors. I've had a hard time getting my husband to follow this rule, but when everyone in the house does it, it's great for keeping the floor cleaner longer.

6. Baskets are your friends.

I have a basket in my living room for my blankets. I have baskets in every stairwell to throw things that need to go to another floor. I have a basket on my coffee table for my TV remotes. Baskets (and other organizers) are great decluttering tools because they tidy up clutter and give it a home. And while you're cleaning, you can simply lift the basket, clean underneath, put it back in, and you're good to go.

7. Make your home as user-friendly as possible.

When planning future home purchases, look for products that require less cleaning, maintenance, and hassle. Parquet floors are easier to clean than carpets. Blinds are easier to care for than fabric window coverings. Rolling laundry carts are easier to drive than stationary carts. A light vacuum is easier to navigate than a heavy vacuum. You had the idea.

at home with health problems

8. To clean the whole house, do a little every day.

I had a bad habit of cleaning my whole house every Sunday. I did this for years when I was healthy, but I can't do it anymore. A few years ago I started breaking up my chores by days. I go from room to room so my house is usually pretty clean.

9. Do homework every day.

A few years ago I made it my goal to do a few things every day if possible: empty/load the dishwasher, clean the sink/counters in the master bathroom, quickly pick up the floor underneath and do a load. of clothes (if there is one to do). I admit it doesn't always happen, but I do my best to do it even when I'm symptomatically having a bad day. (Sometimes my husband helps me). Forcing myself to wash the dishes and clothes keeps them from piling up. Doing a quick clean every day will keep the first floor relatively tidy. Cleaning the sink or countertops reduces the frequency of bathroom cleaning. These four tasks usually take me 20-30 minutes a day.

10. Find your best moment.

I tend to have more energy in the morning and early afternoon, so that's the best time to cleanse. Determine your most functional time and plan your house cleaning tasks for that time.

11. Prioritize.

When you suffer from a chronic condition you typically have a finite amount of energy/exertion before it is depleted and you are done for the day. Before you start cleaning, make a list, prioritize the most important things to do, then do them first. Chances are you won't complete your to-do list, but hopefully you can at least get the most urgent tasks done.

12. Sit down.

Sit down as much as possible to conserve energy. Sit down to fold clothes. Sit down and peel the potatoes. Sit down and clean up your desk. If you can do something while sitting, do it because it saves energy for other activities.

13. Just be yourself.

I know it's tempting to keep cleaning when you're having a good day, but make sure you take regular breaks or you'll pay for it later. With a chronic illness, it's important to exercise and respect your energy limits. Use a timer if necessary. It's important to find the right balance of activity and rest for you. Also look at the big picture. If you clean in the morning, keep the afternoon free to rest and recover. Avoid over-planning.

14. Keep supplies where you need them.

A few months ago I got tired of lugging cleaning supplies up the stairs, so I put together a basket of cleaners, microfiber towels, dusters, etc. which I keep on my second floor. I also kept some cleaning supplies under the sinks in my kitchen and other bathrooms. Now I have everything I need where I need it. It saves me the extra steps and the hassle of carrying supplies from room to room and floor to floor.

15. Clean the shower while you're in the shower.

For me, cleaning the shower is one of my most dreaded chores. It takes a lot of energy and it's dirty and wet. Thanks to a tip I found on Pinterest, I now have a refillable dishwashing liquid and white vinegar dishwasher in my shower caddy. Every other week I use it to scrub the tub and tiles while I shower. When I'm dirty and sweaty, I'm already in the shower so I can get clean right away!

Delegate house cleaning tasks.

16. Recruit your children (and other household members).

If you have children, it's a great way to teach them responsibilities and skills that they will use later in life. I grew up with a mother who suffered from a chronic illness. I swear he hasn't cleaned a bathroom since I was 10 years old. You know why? Because I cleaned it! I also did my own laundry, packed my lunch, vacuumed, dusted and mowed the lawn. Doing household chores as a child prepared me to take care of my own home later in life. Even young children can do their part by picking up and putting away their toys. Your kids won't like cleaning now, but they'll see the value in it when they're older, and you'll appreciate having less to do around the house. (If you have a loved one or other household members, they should do their part in the house, too.)

17. Hire help.

I know this isn't possible for everyone due to financial reasons, but if you have disposable income, consider hiring a cleaning service once or twice a month to do deep cleanings like bathrooms and floors. It may not be as expensive as you think.

18. Consider buying a robot vacuum cleaner.

Our home has dark hardwood floors that show every stain of dirt and pet hair. Shortly after moving into our house, I gave up the one-woman struggle to keep the floor clean and invested in a Roomba. Yes they are expensive but this little robot is worth every penny I paid for it. If he died tomorrow, I would order his replacement by the end of the day. Serious. I probably run my Roomba 2-3 times a week. I just have to get my regular vacuum out every six weeks to vacuum behind the dog crate and under the couch cushions. For me, vacuum cleaning is one of the most difficult tasks in the household, so I am happy to delegate it to Mr. Roomba.

Eliminate mental clutter

19. Lower your expectations.

If you're a perfectionist like me, chances are your husband doesn't load the dishwasher like you would. Your child's definition of cleanliness will be different than yours. Even if you can still clean, you likely won't be able to do as thorough a job as you did before you became ill. You must set new expectations of what is acceptable, or you will go insane with unrealistic expectations.

20. Don't be hard on yourself.

You will never get everything done. Even when you were healthy, you still hadn't done everything. I know I've said it before, but this is probably the most important takeaway: do what you can and leave the rest for another day. Believe me, Martha Stewart isn't going to knock on your door and ask you to inspect it.

Try Adblock (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire