2.13.2022

Tips from Héloïse: Preserving Precious Memories | family | timenews.net

Dear Héloïse, As spring cleaning and quarantine increases home organization, there's one area that many haven't thought of: how to preserve your most treasured memories for generations to come. From ticket stubs to letters, the items we hold dear tell stories for the future and represent our personal history. The exhibition "Why keep that? from the National World War I Memorial and Museum is investigating the journey of a donated item to a museum, and the museum wants people to know how and what to keep when cleaning their homes so their memories can continue to tell stories for years to come .

The museum has shared six tips for preserving your memories at home below, to help preserve history properly so your items can tell stories for the future.

1. Touch with clean hands. Wash off and avoid lotion before touching objects.

2. Store items in stable temperature and humidity; Avoid attics and basements.

3. Store items in a dark place.

4. Use acid-free bearing materials.

5. Avoid using tape, staples and lamination.

6. Digitize what you can!

– Bruce Miller, via email

Bruce, this is great information to help us salvage and preserve important family histories. - Heloise

MORE ID TIPS

Dear Héloïse, I like Julia N's "name tag" idea. I have a card on which I wrote: "In case of emergency please call...". It contains my husband's, my children's and my sister's phone numbers. , my insurance information, the prescription drugs I take, and a drug allergy. I write it by hand on a 3x5 card or type it on the computer, then place laminating sheets (easy to peel and stick) on both sides and cut to credit card size. It's in my wallet next to my driver's license or in my pocket when I walk. I hope I never need it but it gives me and my loved ones peace of mind. Thanks for your great column! – Marty Motia in La Canada, CA

replacement

Dear Héloïse, for some reason I always feel like I'm running out of things when I start to have dinner or cook something. Do you have a list of substitutes for chefs like me? – Edwin L. of Milford, New Hampshire

Edwin, I have some substitutions that you might find useful:

• Need crunchy celery for a tuna or chicken salad? Use chopped coleslaw or chopped water chestnuts.

• No breadcrumbs at home for meatloaf? Try split croutons, ruffled potato chips, or maybe crackers. One of them will act as a filler and maybe bring a new flavor.

• Has the baking soda gone? For every cup of all-purpose flour in the recipe, add 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste. Prepare just enough for your recipe as this mixture does not store well. The effectiveness decreases rapidly during storage.

• No flour? You can use the pancake mix in many recipes, but be sure to omit the baking powder or baking soda.

• Empty creamer? Instead of heavy cream, try a teaspoon of vanilla ice cream. - Heloise

PUMPKIN SEED

Dear Héloïse, My husband and I love winter squash, but it's really difficult to remove the seeds. A friend of mine suggested I use a melon ball. I just throw in and the seeds come out with no problem. Do not rotate the melon ball; just scrape it off. It works that easy! — Cynthia M. in Baraboo, Wisconsin

recommended videos

Try Adblock (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire