2.28.2022

MØ: Channeling Fatigue to Inspire Energy - Mixdown Magazine

Lyrics by David James Young

Consider MØ ahead of the curve, although perhaps a bit too literal in this case

Shortly after the singer-songwriter returned to Copenhagen to die after nearly seven straight years of touring, writing, recording and performing, the whole world would no doubt follow his example. Yet even through these uncharted waters, was able to adjust and recalibrate to decide her next move.

"It was a really big change going from 100 to zero," he says via Zoom from his home in Copenhagen. "I was really exhausted, mentally and physically. It was one of those things where my body was screaming at me to take a break, but I figured it was just stress and it would pass. It wasn't until I took that break that I really experienced myself sitting with my anxiety and my voice really breaking. It was tough and scary. It took a few months before I felt like I was in a place where I could really open up.

Read all current interviews, reports and columns here.

This process was documented in his later writings, eventually leading to his third studio album Motordrome . It all started with MØ sitting at the piano writing the austere ballad Goosebumps, which ranks as one of her most vulnerable songs to date. With little production or texture beyond her vocals and the reverberant piano chords, the song would effectively serve as a hub for what MØ wanted this time around.

"It's not like there are any big conclusions," she says. "It's just me thinking about what went through my head after I got off the hamster wheel and found myself. I started to turn that feeling of defeat, that sadness, that sadness, into a feeling of energy or power I felt like I was taking control back and you definitely hear that in the following songs like "Brad Pitt" and "Live." to Survive".

Along with writing these songs, MØ's vision for the album expanded. In addition to writing the lyrics to each song, the singer found that having her own honest conversations with herself meant she could break through. "I just had a 'well, what do I really like?' moment," he said. "I know it sounds cheesy, but I started thinking about these sounds that were cool to me: guitars, really dirty guitars; really dark 80's inspired pop music. All of a sudden I started creating an inspirational list of songs and before I realized I had the framework for the production side of things.

On Motordrome , released in late January, MØ pours her innermost feelings on an unprecedented scale through a selection of songs that, while different in approach to her previous two albums, ultimately follow her sophisticated and complex electronic pop brand stay true A variety of collaborators were recruited to bring MØ's vision to life, including prolific producer SG Lewis (Dua Lipa) and Scandinavian Caroline Ailin (Katy Perry), creating a circle of trust around the album and its songs. Knowing she was dealing with such sensitive content, MØ felt it was imperative that the people working on Motordrome were people she trusted to complete the project.

"It's about finding people who make you feel like you can be yourself," she says. "You both need to be in the place where you can really share ideas. In the past I have tried to work with people who have difficulty taking control or feeling like they understand your vision. Finding the right people to work with is just one way to enhance, develop, and enhance your ideas as an artist.

She also notes that despite a roster of more than a dozen co-writers and co-producers, it was a refreshingly intimate experience for her. "The album I did before that ( 2018's Forever Neverland ) had even more people involved," he says. However, the establishment of the Motordrome was not without obstacles.

"I think what I struggled with the most was the details. The basis of it all was still there and sounding good, but it was a question, 'Are we going in another direction? guitar oriented? More synthesizers?' More electronic "Fully organic? It was a constant discussion. Some of the producers I work with, like Yangze and Ronni Vindahl, are very different. That's a good thing, because you get something from both worlds. Other than that." It's always such a back and forth, you know, it took some work, but I really feel like we pulled it off.

MØ's trust in her employees was also reflected in the arrangements. First and foremost a singer, her desires for the sound direction of each song depend largely on those accompanying her in the studio. "I love throwing in references or sounds or even describing the sounds I want," he says.

"Je veux vraiment enter dans l'univers de la chanson et le sentiment de tout cela. vous faire comme ca? » MØ énonce ensuite l'échelle descendante unmistakably qui sert demotive récurrent. "Ils l'ont choisi à l'oreille et se sont dit:" Vouliez-vous le faire comme ça? It was amazing."

With Motordrome now in the world, MØ only hopes that those listening to her can see parts of herself in the parts of her scattered throughout. "I hope people can relate their own lives to it," she says. "When I listen to other artists, I always look for something to hold on to so I don't feel alone. I hope people feel the same about this album.

Motordrome is available now through Columbia Records/Sony.

Try Adblock (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire